Cabot’s Analytical Department at the Billerica Technology Center is looking for an expert Analytical or Physical Chemist with experience in particle size, scattering techniques and practical knowledge of colloid science. The position requires overseeing the particle size laboratory, providing guidance and training to more junior employees, developing new methods, improving existing methods as well as providing technical expertise in particle size of dry powder and liquid dispersions, light scattering, and optical properties to support Cabot’s technology and manufacturing organizations. Working in the lab is a critical expectation and computer programing for numerical analysis and data handling is required. Additional responsibilities include the execution and/or leadership of projects of high complexity/scope, the creation of new concepts, and leadership in solving complex process, product and/or application development problems. Experiences and skills in research and synthesis of data into actionable information is highly desirable.
• Understands and defines the problem at hand in context of business needs & sets and aligns objectives with stakeholders (customers and internal). Contributes to the advancement of application, product, or process development. Anticipates internal and/or external technical or business challenges and/or regulatory issues.
• Assesses relevant process, materials and applications science in view of available toolkit and required innovation.
• Leads overall technical program, including coordination of technical team members and cross-functional support. Plans, schedules, conducts, and coordinates detailed phases of projects of varying scopes to safely meet objectives and timeline. Serves as mentor to other professionals.
• Leads team to generate data, conduct advanced statistical analysis, and organize and interpret data to establish and support new process, materials, and/or application learning.
• Technical contribution and advice to regulatory bodies (e.g. nanotechnology, ECHA—REACH, ISO)
• Proactively shares knowledge and information using appropriate forums.
• Initiates and maintains contacts with key technical resources of educational institutions, technical organizations, and other companies in order to satisfy Cabot technical needs.
• Adheres to all intellectual property standards throughout area of responsibility and supports IP needs as appropriate.
• Strictly follows and complies with all Safety, Health & Environment expectations. Ensures safe laboratory operations, participates in scheduled safety meetings and completes safety training requirements
• Supports efforts to implement and maintain the Responsible Care® Management System in line with the requirements of the RC14001® technical specification, as applicable to the site/region.
• Recognized and demonstrated technical and applications expertise in one or more areas of value to Cabot. Ability to provide the technical direction when others do not have the specific knowledge required. Passion for innovation, scientific discovery and experimentation; an eagerness to identify technology solutions that will bring value to Cabot and customers. Good judgment in the identification and selection of technical paths for complex technical problems; ability to make and recommend adjustments when needed. Technical credibility to compel others to trust the information and guidance provided. Willingness to learn and share from efforts that are both successful and unsuccessful. Ability to document project results to capture knowledge. Ability to leverage technical knowledge to provide input to the IP strategy and tactics.
• Ability to identify causes of and potential solutions to complex problems. Technical problem analysis in the context of the bigger picture. Judgement on feasibility of new concepts and opportunities and appropriate depth of analysis to support quality decisions. Ability to project differing points of view for the decision-making process. Able to distinguish fact from inference/assumption/hypothesis when analyzing all aspects of a project. Experimental design, modeling, data management, and analysis proficiency. Skillful data interpretation, to create knowledge.
• Experience and knowledge in the critical aspects of project management.
• Computer programming for numerical analysis and data handling.
• Ph.D. in Chemistry, Material Science or Engineering or equivalent with 6+ years of experience in product/applications development related to customer products, OR
• Master’s Degree in a related technical discipline and generally 10+ years of related experience, OR
• Post-secondary degree (Bachelor’s/University) in related technical discipline and generally 12+ years of related experience.
• Experience managing interactions/relationships in a Technology environment (for purposes of product/application development) highly desirable and may be required for select roles.
Cabot Corporation is a leading global specialty chemicals and performance materials company headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts, USA.
We strive to be the most innovative, respected and responsible leader in our markets — delivering performance that makes a difference. As a market leader we collaborate with customers to find innovative solutions that will help them advance their own products for a wide range of industries, from transportation and infrastructure to environment and consumer goods. Our customers worldwide trust our solutions to help them address their needs and accelerate innovation in key applications — creating value and delivering an advantage over the competition. To learn more about Cabot products and applications please click here.
Our culture is based on four core values: respect, integrity, responsibility and excellence in everything we do. We are committed to diversity and inclusion and place high value in creating an inclusive workplace where all employees can contribute, thrive, and advance. We strive to create an environment that is conducive to the spirit of entrepreneurship, innovation and accountability, and empowers every team member to take responsibility for the execution of our strategy. We support and encourage our people to share ideas and explore ways to do things differently. Our passion for excellence and commitment to creating value and business success creates a culture in which everyone can contribute. We are known as one of the global leaders in safety, health and environmental performance, motivated in large part by the commitment and drive of our colleagues around the world.
Our global network consists of over 40 manufacturing facilities throughout North America, South America, EMEA, and APAC regions.
Cabot Corporation is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.