Cabot is seeking an enthusiastic, self-motivated postdoctoral research fellow with a strong experimental background and willingness to work hands-on in the lab. The successful candidate will work on R&D projects in Cabot’s high-growth Energy Materials business with a focus on Li ion batteries, contributing to the creation of new concepts and providing solutions to complex technical problems. The position will provide opportunities to collaborate with a highly talented team of scientists and engineers, while also working collaboratively with external partners and customers. This role will be focused on Cabot’s partnership with the U.S. Department of Energy on the development of conductive materials for next generation lithium-ion batteries.
This is a two-year assignment. Based on performance and available funds, a full-time opportunity may be available after the two years of employment. This position qualifies for full benefits with the exception of holiday pay and vacation pay.
• Participates in research and development to contribute innovations, new product ideas, or new process to advance the field.
• Interprets the principles, theories and concepts within the field of Li ion batteries under general supervision.
• Contributes to specific product and process development needs. Evaluates materials, designs and conducts experiments to meet product requirements, R&D objectives, and program milestones. Shares learnings across organization.
• Conducts work requiring independent judgment in the evaluation, selection, adaptation, and modification of standard techniques, processes, and criteria; refer to knowledge of precedents in the specialty area and principles and practice in related specialties.
• Devises new approaches to problems encountered; works within conventional practices, but may incorporate complex features; receive technical guidance on unusual or complex problems.
• Plans, schedules, conducts, or coordinates detailed phases of work for a part of a major project or total project of moderate scope.
• May supervise employees assisting in specific assignments by providing day to day instruction and developing and assigning work plans.
• Builds cells and analyzes data to quantitatively measure and compare cell performance. Apply diagnostics to investigate cell reactions conduct failure mode analysis to identify root causes and generate novel solutions
• Knowledge of Safety Awareness. Ensures safety documents are in place for experimental work.
• Prepares reports and document results, provide conclusions and next steps
• Participates in meetings with external partners
• Contributes to the development of intellectual property. Adheres to all intellectual property standards throughout area of responsibility.
• A recent PhD in chemical engineering, materials science, chemistry, electrochemistry, or a related field
• Experience in lithium ion/metal chemistry and battery components, especially in polymeric binders
• Understanding of theory supporting electrochemical performance and battery life/degradation models
• Excellent laboratory practices, record keeping, report writing and presentation skills
• Strong communication skills and ability to work as part of a highly integrated team
• Strong track record of high impact publications in peer reviewed journals
• Hands-on experience with battery testing; familiarity with Maccor or other equivalent testing systems
• Authorization for employment in the U.S.
• Experience with polymeric binders and conductive carbons for lithium-ion batteries, and particle surface modification is highly preferred
• Familiarity with advanced analytical techniques to support material optimization studies
• Experience with Design of Experiments (DOE) methodology and/or statistical methods is extremely desirable
• Experience working with the U.S. Department of Energy and involvement in government grants is a plus
Cabot Corporation is a leading global specialty chemicals and performance materials company headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts, USA.
We strive to be the most innovative, respected and responsible leader in our markets — delivering performance that makes a difference. As a market leader we collaborate with customers to find innovative solutions that will help them advance their own products for a wide range of industries, from transportation and infrastructure to environment and consumer goods. Our customers worldwide trust our solutions to help them address their needs and accelerate innovation in key applications — creating value and delivering an advantage over the competition. To learn more about Cabot products and applications please click here.
Our culture is based on four core values: respect, integrity, responsibility and excellence in everything we do. We understand and value the power of diversity and collaboration. We strive to create an environment that is conducive to the spirit of entrepreneurship, innovation and accountability, and empowers every team member to take responsibility for the execution of our strategy. We support and encourage our people to share ideas and explore ways to do things differently. Our passion for excellence and commitment to creating value and business success creates a culture in which everyone can contribute. We are known as one of the global leaders in safety, health and environmental performance, motivated in large part by the commitment and drive of our colleagues around the world.
Our global network consists of over 40 manufacturing facilities throughout North America, South America, EMEA, and APAC regions. Learn more about the Billerica site here.
Cabot Corporation is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.